Beer and Pretzel Cupcakes
I make these cupcakes year round, but this flavor combination seems spot on for Superbowl fare. You can’t really taste the Guinness but it gives the cakes a really delicious full taste – try it and see!
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line your cupcake pans.
- Start by warming the stout beer and butter in a small pan – just until the butter is melted and the beer is foamy.
- Combine the beer and butter mixture with the sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Whisk your beer, butter and sugar mixture in a large bowl with the sour cream, vanilla extract and add in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour to the batter in two parts.
- Pour the batter into a lined cupcake tin. Bake your cupcakes at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Check on them at 20 minutes and rotate if necessary.
Once your cupcakes are in the oven, make your frosting. Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature it will make all the difference, especially if you’re not using a stand mixer.
- Whisk or blend room temperature cream cheese until it’s fluffy. I love using browned butter for an extra layer of flavor, but feel free to use room temperature butter instead. Either way make sure your butter is not hot or straight out of the fridge cold.
- Once the cream cheese and butter are combined add in the confectioner’s sugar and if you want to make the cupcakes extra boozy a little Bailey’s. I use about an ounce, but you can play around with a little more or less.
- Once your cupcakes are cooled, frost and top them with a pretzel and a little pinch of salt.