French crepes with lemon and sugar are a childhood favorite of mine, but they fall squarely into the dessert category. I’ve tried to eat them for breakfast and I’m usually hungry again half an hour later. Buckwheat crepes on the other hand, are hearty, filling and you can add pretty much anything you have on hand. Lox and cream cheese, salsa with egg and cheese, avocado and veggies… you get the idea!
I like to use whole ingredients whenever possible, so I make my crepes with whole buckwheat groats. If you have access to buckwheat groats definitely give this a try. If you don’t I’m also including a recipe for buckwheat crepes made from buckwheat flour. Buckwheat flour is just ground up groats, so you’re still getting all the pluses while cutting down on prep time.
Buckwheat groats are chewy white seeds (not grains) they’re gluten-free, rich in protein and minerals and easy to work with making them a pretty perfect breakfast food. I really like the buckwheat and yogurt combo because it has a delicious almost sourdough-y taste. Although you can easily leave out the yogurt and replace with water if you prefer.
If you want to make these crepes sweet add a a touch of agave, vanilla extract or cinnamon instead of salt and pepper when seasoning them.
- In a blender combine 1 cup of buckwheat groats, 1/2 a cup of water and 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt. Blend together for a few seconds. Don’t puree completely just pulse until it’s all combined. If you choose to omit the yogurt add a tiny bit more water.
- Cover and allow the mixture to rest. I usually do this in the evening so it’s breakfast ready in the morning, but it can rest anywhere from 6 to 24 hours.
- When the groat mixture is ready, blend with the eggs and baking soda. Slowly add in a little water to thin out the batter. I find that about a 1/4 cup of water will do. You may need anywhere from 1 spoonful to 1/2 a cup. Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Pulse until you reach the right consistency – aim for a slightly thinner version of pancake batter.
- Cook like a regular pancake.
Serve with with anything from syrup and berries to eggs and avocado!
To make buckwheat flour crepes:
- In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup buckwheat flour, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup of plain yogurt, 3 eggs and salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook like a regular pancake