I can’t go to the movies without getting popcorn. I’m glad it’s dark in the theater because I eat popcorn by the handful and I’d probably look like a starving animal to anyone watching.
Homemade popcorn is so much tastier and having to eat it in front of others forces me to eat it like a civilized human.
- Chop the bacon into small chunks and brown it in a large heavy lidded pot.
- Once the bacon is cooked take it out of the pot, leave behind any bacon drippings. Add the popcorn kernels into the pot – if you don’t have a lot of bacon grease add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to the pot.
- Turn the heat up and within a couple of minutes you’ll hear the popcorn start to pop. Shake the pot a few times to rotate the popcorn so you don’t wind up with any burnt pieces or unpopped kernels.
- Once you hear the popcorn slow down and one kernel or less is popping every second, take the popcorn off the heat.
- To make the caramel, combine honey, sugar and brown sugar in a sauce pan and heat for about 4 minutes or until the sugars start to bubble.
- Take the foamy sugar off the heat and add in the baking soda. Whisk in the baking soda for a few seconds and then add in the bacon.
- As soon as the bacon is incorporated into the caramel pour it over the popcorn. Toss the popcorn making sure all of the kernels are coated evenly.
- Spread the popcorn out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and sprinkle it with salt.