Jurassic World Dinosaurs in Amber Shots
Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies (in case you can’t tell I’m channeling my inner 90’s explorer with my high-waisted shorts look). The summer Jurassic Park came out, I remember looking for flies caught in tree sap around my yard. I don’t think I fully understood the science, but I was sure I’d be able to build my very own pet T-Rex if I just looked hard enough.
Dinosaur gummies and rum punch make the ultimate Jurassic inspired bite. This treat is for adults but also appeals to the kid inside all of us. You could also make it alcohol free by using ginger ale and fruit juice or regular jello. I made a rum punch because it’s delicious and the color of amber, but feel free to play around with the flavors. Dinosaur gummies are usually easy to find, make sure you select a brand/type that fits in whatever mold you’ll be using.
- Start by pouring half of the cold ginger ale (dissolving the gelatin in a cold liquid makes a big difference) into a mixing bowl. Pour the other half of the ginger ale into a pan.
- Add the gelatin to the cold ginger ale in the bowl and whisk together.
- Add water to the ginger ale in the pan and heat the liquid until hot. They don’t have to be boiling, just hot enough to fully dissolve the gelatin. If you make the liquid too hot, the shots will take longer to set and the dinosaurs gummies might melt.
- Pour the hot liquid into the bowl of ginger ale and gelatin. Mix together.
- Stir in the other liquid ingredients, light rum, dark rum, orange liqueur and lime juice.
- Place 1 gummy dinosaur in each Jello shot mold. Molds can be made from ice cube trays, plastic cups, cupcake liners, mini cupcake tins… just make sure the mold is big enough to display the gummy dinosaur.
- Pour in the liquid and refrigerate until set.
Tip: If you use a cupcake tin as a mold, it may help to place the bottom of the pan in hot water for 10 seconds to help un-mold the shots.