PBJ Ice Cream Sandwiches
The amazing thing about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is that it is so easy to make and it tastes great every time. This ice cream sandwich is really simple and the flavor payoff is awesome.
You can use store bought cookies and your sandwich will be delicious, but making your own peanut butter cookies takes it to the next level. These cookies tastes so good on their own and they really shine in an ice cream sandwich because they stay chewy so that you can easily bite through the sandwich and get a little bit of each flavor.
To make the cookies:
- The easiest way to make these cookies is to work with room temperature butter and peanut butter. If you start with cold ingredients you may have to use a stand mixer or hand mixer to combine your ingredients. Mix the butter and peanut butter until they are smooth and totally combined.
- Add in the sugars. Incorporate the egg followed by the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make sure all of the dry ingredients are well incorporated and fold them in with the wet ingredients. Thoroughly mix everything together.
- You can refrigerate your dough or make it into cookies right away. Roll the dough into little balls that are about the same size (I like to make medium size ice cream sandwiches but you can go anywhere from mini to giant). Flatten them into disks and bake them at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Let the cookies cool completely before assembling the ice cream sandwiches. Spread a little blueberry jam on the flatter side of each cookie.
- Swirl the remaining blueberry jam into the vanilla ice-cream.
- Scoop ice cream between two cookies and gently press the cookies together. I recommend freezing the sandwiches for a little while before serving, but if you just can’t wait – go ahead and dig in.