Stained Glass Cookies
Cookies with candy windows – what could be sweeter? These cookies can get very elaborate but they’re just as lovely with one simple cut out. Since the dough is egg-less it’s a great food craft for kids (just make sure the candy doesn’t get eaten before making it’s way into the cookies).
The dough is fairly sticky so use parchment paper when working with it, and refrigerate the dough as needed. For the candy I used a mix of candy canes sticks but any brightly colored hard candy will do (like jolly ranchers or life savers).
Stained Glass Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter and the sugars. Add in the salt and vanilla. Fold in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Working in batches sandwich the dough between parchment paper and roll it out to about a 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Use large cookie cutters to cut out the cookies. Then switch to smaller cookie cutters to create the windows within each cookie. If you don’t have tiny cookie cutters use a straw.
- Refrigerate the cut, unfilled cookies for at least 15 minutes.
- Fill the chilled cookies with crushed candy.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.