The Best Cheesecake
This cheesecake is a crowd favorite. It's a great balance of tangy, sweet and creamy. It's so good that I sometimes make two at a time so I know there will be enough for everyone.
The Best Cheesecake
For the cookie crust:
- In a plastic food storage bag, crush up your cookies (Graham crackers are always a good bet, but any crunchy cookie works).
- Mix the crumbs with a little salt and melted butter (for extra deliciousness brown the butter).
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a springform pan and bake at 325 degrees for 5 minutes.
To make the cheesecake filling:
- In a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a hand mixer) cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Blend until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time – stir for a few seconds in between each egg.
- Add the sour cream, heavy cream and the Grand Marnier (you can skip the Grand Marnier or replace it with a little orange zest).
Assemble your cheesecake:
- Take the spring form pan with your prepared cookie crust and wrap it in tin foil. Make sure it is well wrapped and no water can seep in.
- Pour your cheesecake mixture into the pan.
- Place the cheesecake into a large roasting pan and add a little water to the larger pan (at least 1-2 inches).
- Bake at 325 degrees for an hour. When the hour is up, turn off the oven and gently open the oven door just a little . Leave the cheesecake in the oven for another hour or so – it’s important that cheesecake come to room temperature in the oven.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake until you are ready to serve. One of the great things about cheesecake is that it tastes even better the next day, so it is the ideal make-ahead dessert.
Serve by itself or with your favorite topping. We enjoyed it with raspberry sauce.
For the raspberry coulis:
- In a sauce pan heat up the raspberries, lemon juice, sugar, water and vanilla until the mixture thickens a bit (about 20 minutes).
- Pass the raspberry sauce through a strainer to catch all the raspberry seeds. Refrigerate and enjoy within the next 7-10 days.